Saugus Car Accident Attorney

With U.S. Route 1 passing right through town, Saugus—while a beautiful place to live—can also be dangerous and filled with heavy traffic. When a car accident happens, there are a number of steps that need to be taken immediately. Calling Deborah Gold-Alexander, Attorney at Law, is only one of them.

Seek Medical Attention Immediately

Immediately following a Saugus car accident, you need to seek medical attention. Common car accident injuries include:

  • Traumatic brain injuries;
  • Broken bones;
  • Back and spinal cord injuries;
  • Internal injuries;
  • Whiplash;
  • Seatbelt injuries; and
  • Lacerations.

Accidents that occur at high speed often result in more serious injuries types, including fatality. In addition to receiving care as soon as possible, make sure you document the full extent of your injuries when receiving care.

Report the Accident Promptly

If emergency medical attention is required, this should be your priority. If you are able to, however, you should report the accident to the authorities as soon as possible. Additionally, gather as much evidence at the scene of the accident as possible. This includes the other driver’s information, names of any witnesses, the license plate number of the other vehicle, time, date, and location, and even take pictures of the scene and damages.

Call Your Insurance Company

Massachusetts follows a no-fault car insurance system. This means that unless your injuries are severe, you will file a claim with your own insurance company regardless of who was at fault for the accident. As such, make sure that you report your accident within a timely manner. If you don’t, your right to compensation under your policy may be waived.

Often times, an insurance company will try to offer you less than your claim is really worth. If you believe that your claim is being lowballed, you have the right to seek legal counsel.

Take Legal Action Against the Other Driver

If your injuries total more than $2,000 in medical expenses or you’ve sustained a more severe injury type (disfigurement, fracture, partial loss of hearing and sight), then you can file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver.

A personal injury lawsuit can help you to recover damages to pay for the full extent of your injuries, including medical benefits, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.

Keep in mind that the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit for damages is three years in Massachusetts, found in Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 260.

Do I need an attorney to move forward?

An attorney can help you to negotiate a settlement amount regardless of the route to compensation that you choose to pursue. Deborah Gold-Alexander, Attorney at Law, has nearly 30 years’ experience defending accident victims and their families. To receive a free case consultation today, schedule your first appointment now by calling 781-289-4235.