Despite advances in technologies, as well as the numerous safe driving campaigns implemented by local, state, and federal governments, the number of car accidents and fatal car accidents in Massachusetts just keeps on rising. Today, getting in the car may be one of the most dangerous things a person can do.
Accidents Statistics in Massachusetts
According to data compiled by various sources, including the National Safety Council, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, and Motus, traffic deaths in the state of Massachusetts have risen sharply in recent years. To be sure, an article published by The Boston Globe reports that traffic deaths in Massachusetts are up 46 percent since 2013. Overall in the United States, there was a reported eight percent increase in the number of driving deaths from 2015 to 2017.
An article published by Motus is just as grim, claiming that from 2013 to 2017, the number of car accidents increased by 12.3 percent. In the past five years, Massachusetts’ trend in losses related to car accidents has surpassed the national average; the growth rate in the value of total loss per insured car since 2013 means that Massachusetts now has the fifth-highest insurance claim costs in the nation.
Top Causes for the Increase in Car Accidents
There are a number of theories surrounding the increase in car accidents in our state, including:
- More delays – the average Boston commuter will experience 64 hours of delay annually;
- Higher-than-average increase in the number of young drivers;
- Poor road conditions – 42 percent of roads are in poor or mediocre condition;
- Distracted driving – smartphone ownership increased from 55 to 77 percent from 2013 to 2017;
- Lower gas prices – which lead to more traffic; and
- Unsafe driving behaviors, like drinking while driving and road rage.
Steps Drivers Should Take to Be Safe
The good news is that car accidents are preventable. By staying aware when behind the wheel and exercising safe driving behaviors, you may be able to reduce your risk of an accident. Steps driver should take to be safe include:
- Always put your smartphone/handheld device out of reach;
- Slow your speed when conditions warrant it;
- Be courteous and patient with other drivers;
- Know your route;
- Avoiding traffic when possible; and
- Drive sober
If you notice a dangerous driver on the road, keep your distance.
Call a Massachusetts Car Accident Attorney if You’re in a Crash
If you are involved in a car accident in Massachusetts, working with a lawyer can be helpful in improving your chances of recovering your full compensation amount. At the law offices of Deborah Gold-Alexander Attorney at Law, our Massachusetts car accident attorney has more than 30 years’ experience advocating for car accident victims and helping them bring forth successful claims. For a free consultation, please call our law office today or send us a message telling us more about how our lawyer can be of service.