When most people hear of a hit from behind car accident, they may not realize the severity of these types of catastrophes. In many hit from behind accidents, the victims are left with neck and back injuries, other injuries, or even death. In 2010, for example, twenty-six year old Derek Gallien caused the death of a twenty-three year old resident of Edward, Massachusetts after crashing into the back of her car. Gallien was later found guilty of motor vehicle homicide by negligent operation when a jury of three men and five women found him responsible for speeding, failure to stop, and distracted driving. Gallien was in a tow truck when he ran into the back of a Honda Civic. Both vehicles exploded into flames, but Gallien was able to escape, while the driver of the car was trapped and killed. Car Accident Lawyer Deborah Gold-Alexander understands the devastation that can come from hit from behind accidents and distracted driving.
Distracted Driving and Hit From Behind Accidents
Hit from behind accidents are the most common type of car accident, and are completely preventable in most cases. Often, hit from behind accidents are a result of distracted driving. In the year 2010 alone, over three thousand people were killed as a result of distracted driving. That same year, seventeen percent of all vehicle crashes were caused by distracted driving. Distracted driving is very prevalent among teen drivers, but can be caused by anyone. Drivers can be distracted by the other people in the car, changing the radio station, texting while driving, or a number of other things. Here are some of the distractions which may cause a hit from behind accident:
Causes of Distracted Driving
- Text or using a cell phone while driving can cause distracted driving.
- Checking emails, messages, social networks from any electronic device while behind the wheel is considered distracted driving.
- Eating or drinking while driving can cause the driver to become distracted.
- Talking with or interacting with passengers in the car can distract the driver.
- Changing the radio station, adjusting music on MP3 players, CD players, etc can distract a driver.
- Watching videos, etc is distracting to drivers.
- Checking a GPS or other navigation device can be distracting to the driver.
- Reading a map, or any other material while driving is distracting to a driver.
Help for Hit From Behind Accidents
Hit from behind accidents caused by distracted driving, speeding, or any other reason can be devastating to the victims. A victim in such a crash can be left with injuries that are life-changing. He or she may have mounting medical bills, time loss from work, and in some cases require life-time care. Some sadly lose their life. In such cases, a car accident lawyer can help to make sure that the victims and their families receive compensation for the guilty party’s neglect. If you or someone that you love has been injured or killed in a hit from behind accident, give the law offices of Deborah Gold-Alexander a call today at 781-289-4235.